Spicy Lamb Chickpea Shawarma Stew
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 8 servings
Shawarma Spice Mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or to taste)
For the Stew
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- 1 pound ground lamb or mutton
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken bone broth
- 32 ounces chopped tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups carrots peeled & chopped
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 3 cups kale chopped
Combine spices in a small bowl, mix well.
In a dutch oven or similar heavy bottom large pot, sauté onion and garlic in ghee until soft.
Add lamb and cook until no longer pink.
Add spices and tomato paste, cook 1-2 minutes.
Add tomatoes (including juice), broth, carrots and chickpeas. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes or until the carrots are cooked as desired.
Add chopped kale, turn off heat and cover. Let the residual heat wilt the kale before serving.
Garnish each bowl with a generous dollop of greek yogurt and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 766mg | Potassium: 682mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 8190IU | Vitamin C: 48.8mg | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 2.9mg