The crème fraîche makes this ice cream so ridiculously creamy, it’s almost buttery, and the cherry compote is the perfect tart component to break through that richness. This is definitely one of those standout recipes that will have your family and friends swooning.
And the crème fraîche incorporates Fermented Foods into your ice cream treat!
Yours in Health,
Cherry Compote Ice Cream
For the Compote Ice Cream :
- 2 cups pitted black cherries fresh or frozen
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ medium lemon juiced
Make the cherry compote:
- Combine the cherries, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook until the mixture looks like jam, about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely before layering with the ice cream.
Make the ice cream:
- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg yolks until light and creamy.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the milk just until a few bubbles start to form. Slowly and gradually, pour the hot milk over the sugar and yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Transfer the mixture to the refrigerator for 6 hours, or until completely chilled.
- Using a blender or electric mixer, combine the chilled mixture and the Crème Fraîche until smooth.
- Churn the mixture in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s directions. once churned, scoop a few spoonfuls of the ice cream into a container, and then add a few spoonfuls of the compote. Continue layering, then cover with a lid or plastic wrap and store in the freezer until ready to serve, or up to 1 month.