My Lamb Butternut Kale Goulash is the perfect fall meal, embracing the amazing flavors from my local farmers. Made with chunks of lamb stew meat, fall fresh butternut squash and kale and the last of summers home grown tomatoes. PLUS, it’s naturally gluten free and paleo friendly!
I gotta give some special love to one of my favorite farmer ladies, Kathy Evans of Evans Knob Farm. Last Saturday when we planned a quick stop to JUST pick up some lard, but Kathy’s beautiful produce drew me in. I even joked that I didn’t NEED any of the things but I couldn’t resist!
It’s so important to go to your local farmer’s market with an open mind, allowing yourself to be inspired by what looks best and feels good down deep in your soul.
I didn’t set out to make a ‘goulash’ but when I was trying to figure out what to name this recipe it became obvious. In our house it’s technically called a “Stewp.”
“Stewp” starts out as soup but I make it so hearty it is almost a stew. Then I realized as I was typing out the recipe that it really is Nan Ryczek’s goulash but with swapping lamb and butternut squash in place of pork, potatoes and carrots.
And as much as we love the term “Stewp” it’s not really a google-friendly search term from a perspective of getting this recipe out there for others to find. No matter how awesome a recipe tastes, or easy it is to make, it can’t help people if it isn’t easily found! Nobody is searching for “Stewps” on Pinterest!
The best meals in our home are those that come naturally, embracing the seasons freshest flavors combined with proven-deliciousness that were regulars on our grandmother’s menus. That’s my sweet spot, really those old fashioned, slow and low cooked meals that truly are even better as leftovers.
Don’t rush this meal. One of the most magical things is that letting it hang out on the stove, patiently waiting for dinner time, only improves the flavor. Trust me.
I hope you enjoy this Lamb Butternut Kale Goulash and while Lamb is my FAVORITE red meat (which we get from our friends at Footprints Farm) it would also be amazing with beef or pork stew meat too!
Yours in Health,
- 1 pound lamb stew meat
- 1 tablespoon Homemade Seasoned Salt <-- get my recipe
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium Organic Yellow Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Organic Garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon organic dried oregano
- 1 pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 6 cups bone broth Lamb, beef or chicken
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes in juice See Note
- 1 pound butternut Squash, fresh or frozen peeled & cubed
- 1 bunch Kale cleaned & chopped
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Toss lamb stew meat with seasoned salt.
- In a dutch oven or other oven proof pot, brown seasoned lamb in avocado oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic, reduce heat and cook 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Add paprika, oregano, crushed red pepper, bone broth and tomatoes, Bring to a simmer then cover with lid. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, place dutch oven with lid in the oven for 1 hour at 350°F degrees
- Remove from the oven, season to taste with S&P. Add chopped kale, replace cover and let it sit on the stove until you are ready to eat, at LEAST 30 minutes but don't be afraid to let it hang out for a couple hours.
- Serve plain or top with a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!
Please PIN this recipe for later and to help others find it more easily!