These Savory Chanterelle Mushrooms Pancakes are a great side dish or snack. Eaten plain, or smeared with butter. Filled with chanterelles, cheese and fresh chives, trust me you’ll want to make multiple bathes. And they can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months and reheated in the oven.
No less than 90 minutes ago, I told my husband, Ray, that I was taking today and tomorrow off. No work. No office time… yet here I am excitedly typing up a new recipe for you.
But I was hungry.
And we just found so many beautiful summer wild mushrooms; Chanterelles and Black Trumpets that I just can’t resist creating deliciousness with. We love summer time fritters and savory pancakes; Like my Zucchini Fritters, Ramp Fritters and Zucchini Pea Fritters,
The two things that I really love in live is food and being outdoors.
And with foraging, I get the best of both worlds. We get out hiking and bring home gourmet foods that are virtually priceless. (The best chefs in the world don’t have access to wild foraged foods as fresh and high quality as we do!)
I’ve talked previously about being gluten free, grain free and experiment with bringing back wheat into my diet after 7 years. I can’t say that I feel great about eating wheat overall BUT I’ve found that my body doesn’t react to small amounts of ’00 Italian flour’ if yours does, these can also be made with a Gluten-Free Flour Blend for the same results.
’00 Italian flour’ is the flour Italians use to make the absolute best pizza crust. It is also very versatile and can be used to make light and fluffy bread, cakes, fresh pasta and more! The light airy texture makes this flour a joy to work with and your creations will turn out fantastico! I’ve been using it for a wide variety of recipes.
This easy to use flour is from soft wheat grown on a single, organic, Italian farm that doesn’t use any chemical pesticides or fertilizers. For many folks who react to what they think is gluten, it can actually be the sprays used during conventional farming practices.
The flour has been milled by one of the best family run mills in Italy. This flour has been sifted, but is NOT enriched, bromated, bleached or otherwise adulterated in any way. The only ingredient is soft wheat flour.
These Savory Chanterelle Mushroom Pancakes are made just like regular pancakes, only you’ll place a sautéed slice or half of a chanterelle in the pan BEFORE adding your batter. That keeps the big beautiful chunk of chanterelle on display while the rest of the pancake is filled with chopped mushrooms, cheese and chives.
My happy place is in my kitchen, I never feel better than when I’m creating real food deliciousness from scratch AND capturing how beautiful it is in my photos to share with all of you.
and Happiness is good for your health.
- 1 cup finely chopped chanterelle mushrooms
- 6 medium/large Chanterelle Mushrooms sliced or halved
- 2 tablespoons Organic Grass-Fed Butter or Ghee
- Sea Salt
- 3/4 cup Organic Italian 00 Flour
- 3/4 Teaspoon baking powder (aluminim free)
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Chives, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon White Pepper
- 1 pinch lemon zest
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian Cheese blend
- 1 large Egg(s)
- 1/2 cup half and half
- In a skillet, cook chopped mushrooms in 1T butter and a sprinkle of sea salt until soft and liquid has evaporated. Remove from skillet and set aside to cool.
- Cook sliced/halved chanterelle mushrooms in remaining butter with a sprinkle of sea salt. Be careful to keep in solid pieces, cook until soft and very lightly browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Combine Flour, Baking powder, cheese, chives, zest, salt and pepper. Mix well. Add egg and half and half, stir until well combined. Fold in chopped (cooked) chanterelles.
- Heat your skillet/griddle (preferably cast iron) over medium/low heat with a little ghee. Arrange 4 cooked, sliced/halved chanterelles and place a 2T scoop of batter on top. Cook over low/medium heat until lightly browned on both sides and cooked through. Adding additional ghee as needed, like when making pancakes, and working in batches until all pancakes are done. Transfer pancakes to a paper towel lined plate and garnish with additional chopped chives and shredded cheese, if desired.
- Enjoy warm or chilled. Can be frozen for up to 6 months.