It’s asparagus season and my delicious Creamy Asparagus Soup is the prefect way to enjoy the bountiful harvest. And don’t worry, it’s Whole 30 and Paleo friendly too!
While it means it’s time to enjoy the harvest, for me it’s also time to purge out any of last year’s asparagus still hiding out in your freezer. Hence this creation this soup.
Yes, fresh asparagus works amazingly, it’s also the prefect way to use frozen asparagus in a non-traditional meal.
And best yet – it takes less than 15 minutes to make but tastes like a gourmet treat.
For an added protein punch (making it a complete meal) I like to add a couple scoops of tasteless collagen peptides to each serving of my Creamy Asparagus Soup.
This soup, which can be eaten with a spoon as I show in my photos.. personally I enjoy sipping it form a big mug. It’s perfect for a chilly spring brunch or lunch.
In my recipe I use a potato as a thickener and to give the soup body. If you would prefer a lower-carb soup or do not tolerate nightshades/potatoes, substitute 2 cups of fresh or froze cauliflower.
- In a medium sauce pot, saute shallots in ghee until soft.
- Add asparagus, potatoes, broth, lemon and pinch of crushed red pepper. Cover and bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Working in small batches, blend/puree cooked soup until smooth.
- Return pureed soup to the pot/stove. Add coconut cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy immediately. Will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer.