Valentine’s Day is my FAVORITE holiday because it’s also the day that Ray & I got married! The idea of getting married on Valentine’s Day came to be as a joke on Ray, because he always said that he didn’t celebrate it, since it’s a man-made holiday.
This year we’re celebrating our 13th wedding anniversary by going out to dinner and enjoying some of my delicious Salted Dark Chocolate Truffles and Champagne when we get home. Ray has always loved truffles and these melt in your mouth ganache filled bites are perfectly complimented with a sprinkle of sea salt on top are his new favorites – not only because they are made by his loving wife (me!) but also because they are truly delicious.
For the Ganache (filling)
- Place ghee and coconut cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Let it come just to a boil (ghee should be melted), then remove from heat and pour over 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Allow to sit for 2 minutes, then stir gently until combined and smooth. Place the bowl in the refrigerator to chill.
For the Chocolate Coating
- Place remaining chocolate chips in a 1 quart canning jar. In a small sauce pan with 2-3 inches of water, place the canning jar of chocolate chips and bring the water to a simmer over medium heat (kind of like a double boiler)
- Stirring occasionally, heat until chocolate is melted.
- Place a small amount of chocolate in each heart, the carefully spread it up the sides (I use a small rubber spatula) Chill in refrigerator until firm.
- Once the chocolate coating is firm, fill 3/4 full with the chocolate ganache.
- Fill each of the hearts the rest of the way with melted chocolate then chill until completely set.
- Carefully POP each heart out of the mold and store in a plastic container or bag. We prefer to keep ours in the freezer for a frozen treat.