One of my most fond childhood memories is our annual day at Kennywood Park (local amusement park). Every year my mom’s family would make the trip, ever since she was little. My grandmother always packed us a picnic lunch, including her Picnic Chicken packed into a paper towel lined shoe box. Picnic Chicken is a lightly breaded chicken, that’s been fried before you leave for your picnic. Of course it’s awesome fresh out of the skillet but it’s also so good cold, right from the picnic basket! Grandma always made lots of chicken wings and legs, since they are the perfect portable cuts you can just pick up and eat – no knives required! Grandma would bread her chicken with seasoned flour, but since I’m grain/gluten free I use my Grain Free Breading Mix.
- Chicken Legs & Wings
- Grain Free Breading Mix
- Fat for Frying I recommend lard or palm shortening
- In a cast iron skillet or dutch oven, heat about 1 inch of fat
- Toss each piece of chicken in Grain Free Breading Mix and fry in batches until throughly cooked
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to cool/drain
- Pack up for a picnic or enjoy right away