I was so EXCITED when I purchased my Tortilla Press and enjoyed making Homemade Flour Tortillas with organic flour for many years.. After going gluten free I created recipes for my Homemade Corn Tortillas, Cilantro Lime Corn Tortillas, Homemade Tortilla Chips and Gluten Free Pizza, Flatbread & Tortilla Dough. Now that I’ve transitioned to leading a Grain Free (paleo-ish) lifestyle – I’ve been bummed out that my Tortilla Press wasn’t being used 🙁 I created a yummy Grain Free Flat Bread recipe but it just wasn’t a suitable replacement for a tortilla… However with a few simple modifications I was able to transform that recipe into an amazing Grain Free, Paleo Tortilla Recipe! First of all, before we can get into the recipe – you’re going to need a Tortilla Press. Can you make these without a tortilla press? Sure! But, it’s not going to be as easy. I haven’t rolled these out by hand myself (I have a Tortilla Press, remember!?!) If you have any tips after rolling them out by hand, feel free to comment with your tips! In addition to a Tortilla Press you are also going to need a plastic shopping bag. Yep. You read it right, a plastic shopping bag!! Using a plastic shopping bag is the best way to line your Tortilla Press so that you can easily get your tortillas off with out them sticking and making a huge mess (not just for these tortillas but for any tortillas, I always line mine with pieces of plastic shopping bag) I also recommend using a cast iron skillet for cooking your tortillas. The recipe is easy and only has 4 ingredients: Blanched Almond Flour, Arrowroot Flour, Sea Salt & Water. That’s it! Just combine equal parts of Almond Flour & Arrowroot, add some salt and just enough water to get your dough to hold together, press, cook & Enjoy! Click HERE to buy the ingredients & supplies I recommend.
Grain Free TortillasPrint Pin Rate
- Combine Almond Flour, Arrowroot Powder & Sea Salt, Mix well
- Add water 1 Tablespoon at a time. Just until your dough will hold together.
- Using additional Arrowroot Powder as needed, divide your dough into 4 equal portions and roll into balls
- Press in your Tortilla Press that's been lined with a plastic shopping bag and dusted with arrowroot powder
- Cook each tortilla after it's pressed in a dry cast iron skillet that's been preheated over medium heat
- Initially your tortilla may stick, as it's cooks it will loosen and get light brown spots (about 1-2 minutes) Turn over to cook both sides.
- Use your tortillas immediately or store in a plastic zipper bag in the fridge.