Ok, I’m going to start off my immediately disclosing that I have never had the famous Bang Bang Shrimp at Bonefish Grill. I’ve only had a version of it at a local bar and instantly fell in love with it.
After a quick google search, I realized it was so amazingly easy to make at home and with a few modifications I could make it with better quality/non-processed foods!
Really, tell me this doesn’t make your mouth water.. Butterflied, lightly breaded, shrimp drizzled with a creamy-spicy-sweet sauce, served on a bed of crisp lettuce.
Yes, I know your thinking, yeah healthy, right. Wheat Breading? Deep Fried? Bottled Sauce? No thanks. And that’s exactly what I thought. Until I healthi-fied it the best I could… without making it a completely different dish.
The key is balance and moderation. This is a great treat to have a few times a year and don’t worry about the sugar in the sauce or starch breading….
- If you shrimp is frozen, thaw it in a bowl of cool water
- Combine Mayo, Chili Sauce and Sirachi Hot Sauce (to taste!) in a small bowl, put in the fridge to chill while you're preparing everything else
- Prepare your oil for frying, either in a pot on the stove (be careful please!) or in a separate deep fryer, heat oil to 350 degrees
- Line a plate with paper towel, to drain fried shrimp on, set aside
- If your shrimp came with shells on, please peel and devein them. Remove tail also. Butterfly your shrimp by cutting down the back (where the "vein" was) but not all the way through. Allow them to drain in a colander.
- Put the potato starch in a bag or bowl, season lightly with sea salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder
- Toss shrimp in the seasoned potato starch, until lightly coated
- Using your hands to scoop out the dusted shrimp, gently shake off excess..
- Carefully drop shrimp into the 350 deg oil, fry for 1-2 minutes (just until the shrimp turn opaque white/pink) and drain on your paper towel lined plate (lightly salt)
- On your dinner plate, pile up some chopped lettuce add some shrimp, drizzle with the sauce and ENJOY!