In celebration of National Dog Day, I want to talk you about dog health. Health starts in the Kitchen, not only for humans but for animals too! And when we take on the responsibility of caring for a pet, it’s our duty to ensure that they aren’t just surviving, but THRIVING.
There’s a big difference between surviving and thriving, while many people seek thriving in their own lives but fail to set the same intention for their fur-babies.
I got Max when I was in college (back in 1999) and I followed all the standard-advice; wormers, excessive vaccines, pediatric neutering, feeding him whatever dog food was cheap, etc. When he was just 2 years old he tore his ACL, requiring expensive surgery.
Max recovered from his surgery but was then plagued with fatty tumors requiring multiple surgeries over the next 5 years. Around the same time we started changing our way of eating and becoming more health-minded, we switched Max to a grain-free dog food.
And while we didn’t connect his diet to his health before the switch, the improvement in his health after switching him to a grain-free dog food was remarkable. His energy improved, his coat become shiny and silky, his dog-smell was gone, and it was hard to find a pile of poop in the yard.
Before Max was just surviving, switching him to grain-free helped him to thrive!
Max continued on to live to over 13 years old, despite being a 125+ pound XL dog. The growth of tumors significantly slowed (no more surgeries required) and up until the end, he was happy and full of life.
After Max’s passing, my husband and I agreed that with our next dog we would go even further to ensure that we’re doing our best to ensure our next dog had the best nutrition possible.
How Can you Tell if your Pet is Healthy?
Too often, people mistakenly think that all food is equal and fail to notice the little clues that their pet’s diet isn’t giving them a life in which they are thriving, only surviving.
Instead of addressing the underlying nutritional cause, people deal with frustrating pet-health issues and expensive/toxic treatments – when most often dramatic improvements can be made by just switching to a grain-free diet!
Discover the 5 Signs of Wellness
My friends at Wellness is on a mission to raise the bar in pet food – and with their 5 scientifically proven benefits of feeding Wellness Complete Health, you can see the signs of true pet health and wellbeing for yourself!
From soft fur for better cuddles, to healthy teeth for bigger smiles, there’s an endless amount of ways to notice the benefits of feeding a healthy diet in your pet.
Here’s 5 easy ways to Determine if your dog is Healthy:
- Skin & Coat – Give your dog a soft coat that invites family snuggles. A clean soft, shiny coat says, “snuggle up and give me some love!” Wellness Complete Health recipes all include essential vitamins and minerals, as well as guaranteed levels of Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids from ingredients like salmon and flaxseed.
- Digestive Health -Give him the carefree tail-wagging that comes from feeling good.Upset tummies slow him down and can keep your dog from added tail-wagging, run-around time.Wellness Complete Health recipes provide probiotics, prebiotics, chicory root extract and healthy fiber which enhance digestion.
- Eyes, Teeth & Gums -Give him bigger smiles, brighter eyes, and happier barks. Nothing beats clear, bright eyes looking up at you saying, “I love you” with a big smile. Eyes should be clear with no excess tearing. Teeth and gums should be clean with no inflammation.The calcium and phosphorus in Wellness Complete Health helps to support healthy teeth and gums.
- Energy – Give him the energy he needs to keep up with the family. Chasing balls, going on long walks, and of course, an over-the-top greeting when you walk in the front door… there are many ways to see the energy your dog should have. Nutritious, balanced blends of high quality proteins, select fats and carbohydrates like those found in Wellness Complete Health will provide the energy a pet needs.
- Immunity – Give him the support he needs to feel like his playful self. A strong immune system means a more playful, energetic dog. Wellness Complete Health recipes are fortified with ingredients such as zinc, selenium and vitamin E to help maintain optimum health and disease resistance.
1 Easy Change for a Healthier Dog
Now with our 2 dogs; Hercules and Argos the comment we most often hear is how beautiful their coats and teeth are. We aren’t plagued with repetative ear infections or hot spots. Our body are vibrant and full of life, not requiring vet treatment for illnesses and issues.
I firmly believe that feeding your beloved family dog a Grain-Free diet, such as Wellness Complete Health, you are giving you dog the best chance for vibrant health. (and don’t forget to ditch the grain-laden treats too! Click HERE to get my Homemade Dog Treat Recipes)
I’ve experienced first hand what a dramatic difference grain-free feeding can do for a dog. When Argos came to us (from a rescue shelter) he had severe digestive issues, had difficulty gaining weight, coat was dull and lifeless…. in just a couple weeks of eating grain free he was THRIVING, not just barely surviving!
This post is sponsored by Wellness Pet Food. All opinions are my own. For more information on Wellness Complete Health CLICK HERE.