Without a doubt, this is our FAVORITE way to eat chicken! I make my Crispy Cast Iron Chicken several times a month, it’s such an quick and easy meal – that tastes AMAZING!
We raise our own chickens (for meat & eggs) so chicken is a big part of our diet.. However.. my husband wasn’t big fan of chicken (strange, huh?!) until I started making my Crispy Cast Iron Chicken! He’s even said it tastes BETTER than fast food breaded & fried chicken… and there’s no breading, nothing fancy or difficult.
I want to STRESS the importance of buying local, pasture raised, organic chicken at all times. Not only is it HEALTHIER for you & your FAMILY, it’s also better for the chickens, the planet and it’s supporting your local farmers. OH! and it is the #1 key to amazing tasting chicken!
Very liberally season up those local, pastured, organic chicken thighs with my seasoned salt – and let them sit for at least 15 minutes but you can feel free season them up a couple days ahead and keep ‘em chilling in the fridge
When your chicken is lightly browned pop the entire skillet in your preheated 350 degree oven and let ‘em bake (uncovered) for 30-45 minutes. The skin will be nice and crispy and the meat will be tender and juicy!
- Chicken Legs and/or Thighs
- My Seasoned Salt
- 1 tablespoon Healthy Fat (butter, ghee, coconut oil, tallow, lard, schmaltz, etc)
- Liberally season chicken with my Seasoned Salt, set aside for at least 15 minutes or chill for up to a few days
- Preheat Oven to 350 F
- Heat your cast iron skillet over medium heat, add Fat
- Lightly brown chicken on all sides
- Bake (in the cast iron skillet, uncovered) at 350 F for 30-45 minutes (until chicken is cooked through and skin is crispy)
- Remove from oven and let rest 5-10 minutes prior to serving
Reserve any drippings in your pan to use later as a cooking fat - use to roast vegetables, fry potatoes, etc. It will taste amazing!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust.
Most often you will find Hayley in her kitchen, she has always had a passion for food and cooking. She resides with her husband, Ray (and black lab, Hercules) on a 6-acre homestead in rural, southwestern Pennsylvania. Together, they have a beautiful organic garden, raise chickens, forage for wild edibles and look forward to their summertime Sunday evening “mountain rides” in their Jeep.
Latest posts by Hayley Ryczek (see all)
- Greek Marinated Lamb Chops - September 22, 2014
- Morgantown Farmer’s Market Cooking Demonstration 9-20-14 - September 19, 2014
- What does #TastefullyCrafted mean to you? + Enter to win tickets to the Great American Beer Festival - September 14, 2014