We’re always looking for ways to make our regular meals in nutrient dense powerhouses! And my Secret Superfood Meatballs are the prime example of how you can transform a family favorite into something that not only tastes amazing but also packs a hidden superfood punch!
Grain & Gluten free these meatballs have a secret ingredient hidden in the meat mixture.. LIVER!
Yep! That’s right… there’s liver hidden in my meatballs.
I’m sure many of you are thinking that there is no way your family will eat LIVER – but with these meatballs, if you don’t tell them – they’ll never know!
What’s so “Super” about Liver??
Liver is the most commonly consumed organ meat in the US—and for good reason: it’s one of the most nutrient-dense foods in existence. Liver is held sacred by many African tribes, and practically every cuisine has liver specialties. It simply contains more nutrients, gram for gram, than any other food:17
- Liver is nature’s most concentrated source of vitamin A (retinol)
- It contains an abundant, highly usable form of iron
- Three ounces of beef liver contains almost three times as much choline as one egg
- Liver is one of the best sources of copper, folic acid, cholesterol, and purines
- It also contains a mysterious “anti-fatigue factor,” making it a favorite among athletes
The liver is often described as an organ that “filters” your blood of toxins, which may seem concerning in terms of eating it. In reality, laboratory analysis has proven that liver is actually completely safe for consumption and has no higher concentration of toxins than the rest of the body. This is due to the fact that your liver is not really a “filter,” but more of a chemical processing plant, rendering toxins inert and shuttling them out of your body. If your liver contains large amounts of toxins, so do you! And the same goes for the animals you consume. What this means is, the cleaner the animal whose organs you are consuming, the cleaner your food will be, whether it’s a steak or an organ.18 ..read more at www.mercola.com
How do you HIDE liver in Meatballs??
It’s really simple to trick yourself and your family into enjoying liver as a regular part of their diet.. just puree liver (chicken, beef, pork, etc) in your food processor until smooth and add it into this flavorful meatball mixture! I promise you cannot taste it at all
- 1 pound Grass Fed Ground Beef
- ½ pound Pasture Raised Ground Pork
- ½ pound Liver (chicken, beef or pork)
- 1 cup Onion, Chopped
- 2 large cloves of Garlic, Peeled & Chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms, Chopped
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- ¼ cup fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Egg, preferably organic, soy free, pasture raised
- ⅓ cup Almond Flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Over medium heat, sauté onions, garlic & mushrooms in butter until soft, remove from heat and allow to cool
- In your food processor, puree liver until smooth
- Combine everything together in a large bowl, using your hands to mix well.
- Shape meat mixture into meatballs (any size you prefer, we use this scooper)
- Bake meatballs until cooked all the way through or an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (about 30 minutes) Rotating them a few times during baking so they don't develop flat spots.
- Serve meatballs as desired (with or without tomato sauce)
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust.