One of my most fond holiday memories is Easter Dinner at my grandmothers house. She would put out a small jar of homemade Horseradish Beet Relish to have with our easter ham and hard boiled eggs.
The sweet, hot & tangy flavors are so unique. I adapted her recipe to be a probiotic-fermented relish so that it’s not just really yummy but wonderfully healthy addition to any meal.
- 2 cups peeled & coarsely chopped Horseradish
- 2 cups peeled & coarsely chopped raw Beets
- 1 cup Whey
- 2 tablespoons Sea Salt
- In your blender or food processor combine horseradish, beets & whey. Process until finely chopped (not blended smooth) into a grated-like consistency.
- Pour mixture into a 2 quart mason/canning jar, adding sea salt.
- Cover jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Allow jar to sit at room temperature and out of direct sun light .
- Open jar daily to allow any built up gases to release.
- After 3 -4 days transfer your jar to the refrigerator.
- Relish is ready to eat and will keep for up to a year in the fridge.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust.
Most often you will find Hayley in her kitchen, she has always had a passion for food and cooking. She resides with her husband, Ray (and black lab, Hercules) on a 6-acre homestead in rural, southwestern Pennsylvania. Together, they have a beautiful organic garden, raise chickens, forage for wild edibles and look forward to their summertime Sunday evening “mountain rides” in their Jeep.
Latest posts by Hayley Ryczek (see all)
- The Secret to Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs - July 17, 2014
- Do you need a Wienervention? and an Applegate Giveaway! - July 14, 2014
- Grain Free Breaded Zucchini - July 8, 2014