How to Store Fresh Ginger

how to store ginger-01

Stop wasting Ginger! No longer do you have to keep buying ginger roots to use in a recipe then to only find it weeks later, shriveled up in the back of the fridge weeks later :(

With just a few simple steps you can stop wasting your ginger and always have a fresh supply on hand!

1. Get a few fresh ginger roots
  2. Peel your ginger (I love this PEELER) and trim any yucky spots
  3. Freeze your peeled ginger
  4. Grate your frozen ginger on a microplane and use in recipes!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust.

Hayley Ryczek

Hayley Ryczek is a health food blogger at Health Starts in the Kitchen and certified Holistic Health Coach educated by the Institute of Integrative Nutrition. She is passionate about REAL FOOD for optimum health and enjoys creating healthy recipes that she shares on her blog. Hayley resides in southwestern Pennsylvania with her husband, Ray. Together they have a beautiful organic garden, raise heritage breed chickens & turkeys and enjoy foraging for wild mushrooms & other edible treasures.

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. Matthew Katz says:

why do you peel the ginger i feel like that would make it rot more quickly? Is it because of microbes on the skin?

2. Eva says:

Thank you!

3. Albert says:

Ummm, not sure if I agree with this advice. Always have fresh ginger by freezing it? That’s not fresh anymore its frozen. Ginger stores for a pretty long time just sitting on the shelf. I think the trick is to only buy what you’re going to use in a week. I use about a thumb of ginger per day in either one of my shakes or smoothies and sometimes in dishes.. I know how much I need so I keep just that much. Why kill the live ginger root by freezing it?

• Hayley Ryczek says:

Freezing is the best way to preserve foods that minimally impacts the nutritional value. It’s far superior to A. it going to waste B. dried/powdered C. going without – I live in an are where foods like ginger are not readily available, go without or freeze? I’ll freeze it.

4. Kelly Jones says:

thanks so much! looking forward to future emails :)

5. Lori says:

Where can I buy the little ginger peeler?

6. Kelsey says:

I’ve had good luck with peeling frozen ginger as well, if you made the mistake of excitedly throwing ginger root in the freezer and later realizing you left the skin on… which I may or may not have done.