Perhaps you’ve already heard of Crash Hot Potatoes by The Pioneer Woman – maybe not?? My mom sent me the recipe as an idea for our Christmas Day dinner, they sounded so yummy! However, as yummy as the recipe sounded, I knew better than to use kosher salt, olive oil or conventional potatoes. With a few minor modifications I took Crash Hot Potatoes to a whole new, much HEALTHIER level!
I’m sure many of you are asking Huh?? What?? What are those ingredients unhealthy!?
Yep. I’ve been where you are and I was confused. But don’t worry – I’ll help you understand 😉
Why are Kosher Salt, Olive Oil and Conventional Potatoes unhealthy in this recipe??
- Replace Kosher Salt with Sea Salt – Kosher Salt is a processed food just like table salt (only it is not iodized) During the processing all the healthy minerals that are naturally present are removed… where as natural Sea Salt is just evaporated sea water, not a processed food – all the healthy minerals that are left in! In recipes that call for Kosher Salt (which is a coarser grind/larger pieces) I use THIS coarsely ground sea salt. Oh! and sea salt has a much better flavor!!
- Replace Olive Oil with Ghee (or butter) – While I agree that Olive Oil should be a part of our healthy diets, it becomes unstable when heated, it should only be used for cold salads or drizzle over cooked food just prior to serving for flavoring. Olive oil has a lower smoke point—the point at which an oil literally begins to smoke—than some other oils. When you heat olive oil to its smoke point, the beneficial compounds in oil start to degrade, and potentially health-harming compounds form. Use Ghee instead it is safe to cook with at higher temperatures and let’s be honest – it tastes so much better than olive oil, duh! (click HERE to learn how to make your own Ghee just like me!)
- Replace Conventional Potatoes with Organic Potatoes – Conventional potatoes are one of the heaviest pesticide laden crops. Root vegetables absorb herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides that wind up in soil. In the case of potatoes they are treated with fungicides during the growing season, then sprayed with herbicides to kill off the fibrous vines before harvesting. After they’re dug up, the potatoes are treated yet again to prevent them from sprouting. By choosing Organic Potatoes ensures you’re not exposing yourself (or your family) to toxic chemicals – Always choose Organic Potatoes – Never eat conventional potatoes.
Now that we’re on the same page about healthy ingredients, let’s talk about making these amazingly yummy Healthier Crash Hot Potatoes!!
I prefer to use Organic Red Skinned Potatoes, preferably small/medium sized (in-between golf ball & tennis ball) – yukon golds would work great too. Give them a quick wash then BOIL them in sea-salted water until they are cooked through & drain. On a baking pan drizzled with a generous amount of melted Ghee (I use my Pampered Chef Large Bar Pan – if your pan is aluminum or non-stick coated always line it with parchment paper) arrange your potatoes and SMASH them with your potato masher, then drizzle with more melted Ghee & season with Sea Salt, freshly ground black pepper, chives and parsley. (don’t they look yummy already!?!)
Bake them at 420 degrees for about 30 minutes (or until as crispy as you’d like!) My hubby likes them baked for 45 minutes – very crispy!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Boil your potatoes in salted water until cooked through, drain
- Drizzle a baking pan with a generous amount of melted ghee.
- Arrange boiled potatoes on your drizzled pan.
- Using your potato masher SMASH each potato.
- Season each smashed potato with a drizzle of ghee, sprinkle of sea salt, black pepper, parsley & chives.
- Bake at 425 for 30+ minutes (longer will yield a crispier potato)
- Serve them up with additional ghee/butter/sour cream as desired
Be generous with your seasonings, especially sea salt & ghee!!