Grain Free Flat Bread

new recipe in WG-01

Grain Free Flat Bread

I was so inspired by my friend Ashley at My Heart Beets and her Paleo Naan Bread recipe – After making it several times I came up with my own seasoned flat bread recipe. 21DSD, Paleo, Gluten Free, Grain Free and Dairy Free – and totally AMAZING! This recipe is easily increased or decreased depending on how many breads you would like to make.

It’s equal parts of Almond Flour, Tapioca Flour & Water – then add your seasonings (for each 1/4 cup of each of the main ingredients, you’ll use 1/4 teaspoon of your seasonings and 1/8 teaspoon of white pepper) Making these Grain Free Flat Breads are as easy as making pancakes! Just shake everything up together and pour into your skillet! paleo flat bread   Just cook them 1-2 minutes per side, just to get them cooked and brown on the outside… IMG_3307 Transfer each of your flat breads onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake  at 350 degrees for up to 15 minutes – the longer you bake them the crispier they will get. IMG_3308 The middles are still chewy after baking, the edges are crisp – The best of both worlds! Grain & Gluten-Free Flat Bread, Paleo & Vegan Friendly

Grain Free Flat Bread
20minutes
Ingredients
Units:
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
  3. In a jar (with lid) combine all ingredients and shake well to make a thin batter
  4. Heat your seasoned cast iron skillet over medium
  5. Add a little healthy cooking fat to your hot pan
  6. Pour your batter into your skillet (approximately 1/4 cup) - move your skillet around to spread the batter out thinner if desired
  7. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, just until it's getting a few brown spots.. your breads will be firm on the outside but uncooked in the center
  8. Transfer your bread to your parchment lined cookie sheet
  9. Repeat until your batter is all used up and all breads are on your cookie sheet
  10. Bake your flat breads at 350 for up to 20 minutes
  11. Remove from the oven and cool slightly
  12. Enjoy!
Related Post:
Cassava Flour Biscuits {Grain & Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free & Paleo}

Comments

1. Lee says

I tried you recipe. However, when I blended it together it was like a brick. Not enough liquid….so I added more and then still not enough….then more and it was too much. It was a disaster! Please re-look at your measurements and let us know! :)

• Hayley Ryczek says

Justine – based on our email conversation it’s because you didn’t follow my recipe, so I’m sorry YOUR RECIPE didn’t work out but going forward if you modify a recipe please don’t miss lead my readers that a well tested and proven recipe doesn’t work, thanks in advance.

• Hayley Ryczek says

Lee – I’m not sure why you’re having trouble – I’ve made this recipe 100s of times and so have many other people – it’s equal amounts of blanched almond flour, tapioca flour and water…. Are you certain you used the correct ingredients and the correct amounts?

• Lee says

Thanks for the response! Yeah it seems simple enough 😉 I will see if the flour I used was the right one…because mine wasn’t thin at all.

• Miah says

Is it possible you used the wrong Tapioca?? I could not find Tapioca starch/flour and tried it with instant Tapioca which made it very thick.

• Hayley Ryczek says

No you don’t bake with instant tapioca :( It is tapioca starch/flour that you use, just as I said. I use tapioca starch as a part of the vast majority of my recipes. I have linked to purchase it from amazon in the recipe.

• Donna says

I gave up gluten along time ago but have never found a missed a bread substitute that is grain free that I like until I found this recipe. It is Amazing!!!! Thank you for sharing. Thanks to this recipe there is nothing I miss about bread. I have shared it friends and everyone loves it.

• Stacey Haralson says

I have been following a Paleo diet for some time now and decided to make the flat breads today. I started with one batch and they were so good I made two more. They were easy and they weren’t a day long process like the cauliflower tortillas I made last week. Thank you so much!
      Stacey H.

2. says

Haley, I just used your recipe and LOVED it! I was a bit nervous when I saw how thin the batter was, but decided to trust the recipe. It turned out perfectly! My family is already asking for more. Thanks for sharing!!
    Summer

3. Mary says

What does it mean when you take it out of the oven and “cook slightly” does that mean but it back in the pan for a couple mins? Thanks!

Can’t wait to try!

4. AngiPPP says

I made these today and they were a disaster, stuck to the pan, burned bits, folded over on itself, thick bits, thin bits, slightly scorched where I put the frying pan under the grill to firm them up enough to scrap off the bottom of the pan bits, ….. and they STILL taste amazing crunchy on the thinner parts and soft chewy with a crisp outside on the thicker parts,… I liked them so much I may invest in a better pan!

5. says

Wow Hayley!
    Great site. I came over from wellness media to check out your site 😉

This recipe seems too easy..unbelievable!! :)

I’m going right now to try it, but I don’t have tapioca, I will see how arrowroot works out and let you know. I’m hoping this will be a good alternative to pita bread to dip in hummus and also a replacement for tortillas….we’ll see :)

Thanks!

• Hayley Ryczek says

Rachel – you can sub in arrowroot flour or corn starch. These starches gives a gluten like elasticity to the bread.

6. Annick says

Is it possible to use coconut flour in lieu of the almond flour? Looks like a great recipe, I think I’ll try it today!

Thank-you!

7. Andrea says

I’ve tried this recipe a couple time and love it! I used it to make pizza the other night and it was perfect. I was wondering if they keep well? I was wanting to make some and keep them to use during the week for lunches at work.

8. Kristina says

Hi Hayley, I just made a recipe very similar to yours (it used coconut milk vs water) and they cake out gooey on the inside. Tasted amazing, but gooey and didn’t hold up very well. Can you describe the internal texture please? I want to try this recipe, but I hate to waste my gf flours. Thanks in advance!

• Hayley Ryczek says

I made a recipe that used coconut milk instead of water and I did not like the gluey consistency. It was like they never cooked. I shared this recipe because we LOVE them, they are not gooey and I’ve added yummy seasonings that make them AMAZING.
      Feel free to make just 1/4c of each water/almond/tapioca with 1/4t of the seasonings…. you can reduce/increase the ingredients in my recipe as needed!!!

• Hayley Ryczek says

If you let them bake until crispy they make an amazing cracker, too! (especially spread with organic pasture butter!)
        They are light and airy. not heavy, dense or chewie in the middle.

• Kristina says

Okay awesome! I’m going to try it then. It wasn’t bad, just exactly like you said. I am hoping to make yours this week then. Thanks again!

9. Maggie says

I’ve made these at least 4 times now and love them! Here’s my questions, if I get 4 breads from the batter, should I bake them half the time? If I only get 2, as in your picture, should I bake them the full 15 min?

• Hayley Ryczek says

Do what feels right for the texture you want. My hubby likes his soft so we bake his less – I like mine crisp like a cracker so I let mine go longer :)

10. BJ says

My mother made these and they are delicious!! We would like to know if we can make multiple batches at the same time and how to store them, or if we need to make them fresh each time we want them?

11. Gf says

Hi! I was trying to make paleo farinata (italian chickpea flatbread) and found your recipe, i wanted to use the same ingredients. I’m worried aboot goo-iness of the inside. Have you tried farofa (cassava “breadcrumbs”) rather than starch? Thanks!

12. Andrea says

This recipe is amazing!! I have gone through a hundred recipes trying to find a vegan gluten free bread of any kind that would turn out and taste good! I am freaking ecstatic to have found this recipe! Thank you thank u thank u!!! Delicious! The awesome part is I can use it for pancakes too!!

13. Jane says

I LOVE these. You totally saved my life. They are wonderful as a cracker and great as a bun for hotdogs. This Labor Day I felt soooo normal. One question: Since it serves 4, does that mean you get 4 flatbreads? How many flatbreads should you typically get from a single batch? I find if I bake them the full 15 minutes they are like a cracker, which is still yummy. After making them the first time, now I ALWAYS double the recipe. There is NEVER any left overs to put in the refrigerator or freezer. My gluten-loving in-laws loved them as well. Tho I must admit I didn’t want to share them. I felt it was a waste…eat your own bread! LOL!!! But, I still wanted them to know how wonderful gluten free can be. THANK YOU!!!

• Hayley Ryczek says

It depends how big you are making them. I believe a scant ⅓ cup of batter will yield about 8 flat breads. I’m so glad you’re enjoying them!

14. Jana says

Love love LOVE this recipe. I didn’t have tapioca flour in hand, but I used potato instead. The results were absolutely fantastic! The texture reminded me of injera, a sponge-y, Ethiopian bread but the baking gives it a lovely chewiness. And it’s so easy! Thank you so much for bringing this recipe into my life.

15. Yesenia says

I’m excited that my 3rd and 4th piece was much better than first 2. I used butter as fat for pan. No bueno! So I let my cast iron skillet do its own thing with no fat and they look yummy! Going in oven now. 😉 can I double it? Trying to make grilled cheese for kiddies. I’m so new to GF world and you’ve helped me have a decent lunch today!

16. Shelley says

A friend made these for me once when I was visiting, and they are absolutely delightful. They taste great, have an excellent tooth, and are versatile. I’m going to be making my first batch soon. I just have one question. Do you have to put them in a single layer on the baking sheet? I’ll be making enough for my family of nine, and would like to bake lots at one time.

17. Bobbie says

I just make this from your e-book. I have very little cooking skills and it was easy for me to follow your recipe. They came out perfectly! We enjoyed them with hummus. Excellent recipe! Thank you!

18. Laurie says

These are INSANELY good!!! Holy cow. How can something so easy be so darn tasty? I will be making these for years to come!! I used tapicoa and almond flours from Nuts.com for these. We used them as the base of a buffalo chicken flatbread and served them with blue-cheese cole slaw. Yum!! Thanks so much for a winning recipe :)

• Hayley Ryczek says

I’m not sure what buffalo chicken recipe you are looking for – I don’t mention one in this post.. I do have a buffalo chicken salad and buffalo cauliflower recipes on my blog, just search for them!

19. Nicole says

Made these yesterday and used the cashew flour from Trader Joes (I have almond flour from Honeyville but wanted to see how this new flour held up). Holy cow were these good! And I have tried no less than probably 50 different paleo bread/tortilla recipes over the years! I ate mine with a Chicken Tiki Masala frozen dinner from Trader Joes and it was just as good as when I used to order Indian with “real” naan bread! Thank you!!!

• Hayley Ryczek says

Nicole – that is awesome!! I so glad you enjoy them – we have them a few times a week they are even delicious with a thick layer of butter like a cracker :)

• Hayley Ryczek says

Unfortunately you cannot. Coconut flour has very different properties than almond flour. Cashew flour will work in place of almond flour perfectly.

20. says

Just made these. Wonderful! At first I had the same problem as a previous poster where the tapioca clumped up and was hard. I just added a bit more water and shook the jar really well. No problem! I look forward to trying these with various seasonings! I love the pizza crust and hot dog bun ideas as well. I wonder how they would be with cinnamon and some sweetener for a more breakfast-y type of bread. I will test it out! thank you!

21. EKSoto says

Awesome recipe!!!!!!!!!! I threw all the ingredients into a food processor (blender is fine too) after reading reviews about those who had problems with thick batter. Everything came out smooth and perfectly blended. Texture was much like a crepe. Flavor is delicious! Giving up bread is going to be a lot easier now that I can have these little gems! This recipe only makes 3 or 4, however, so be prepared to double, triple (or in my case, quadruple) the recipe to have plenty on hand!

• Hayley Ryczek says

I understand completely, however I’m actually not upset that almond flour is expensive, it helps to keep us all mindful that it’s a treat that we shouldn’t over eat.

22. Karen says

These were awesome… I will be making these often. I tried the recipe containing coconut milk, was was way too heavy, and the recipe didn’t call for baking. These are much better. Thanks for sharing!

23. Karen says

I made these tonight and they turned out great! I used cornstarch because I don’t have tapioca starch yet and they taste great!

24. Marcie A. Friedman says

I just took these out of the oven to eat with my Indian delivery and my taste test says that they are DELICIOUS! I had no trouble with the batter, and even added a few tablespoons of unsweetened shredded coconut to my batter. Perfection! Thanks for a great recipe!

25. Kelly says

These were awesome. I didn’t really get them to brown like you did even though I cooked them longer in the pan than you specified, but I was pretty shocked when they puffed up like authentic indian flatbread (flip once, flip again and apply light pressure around the flatbread with a bunched up piece of paper towel and the flatbread will puff up like balloon). I also only baked them for 10 minutes since I made smaller flatbreads. The thinner flatbreads were crispy, the thicker flatbreads were soft. Both were delicious. The flavour was top notch and my pro-gluten partner loved them. I served them with an Indian lentil soup. Thank you for the sensational, simple recipe!

26. Colleen says

These are awesome. It’s like having a treat! My daughter kept begging me for more. Even my husband loved them. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. The way I cooked them, they were more like crackers that I could serve with hummus. The outside was so crisp and yummy. The next time, I will probably pour more batter.

27. Sue Rama says

I’m so impressed with these! Instead of garlic and onion I used chopped cilantro and fresh rosemary. These are a treat! I made them small, thin and crispy on the edges, required less than 10 minutes in the tabletop oven after the pan part.

28. Danielle says

HOLY COW GIRL!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS AMAZING!!! I used almond meal flour and added little extra garlic and it reminds me of a butter bagel which has been almost 3 years since I have had it! I paired it with my dinner which was Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) with Lemon-Garlic Spicy Shrimp
    Skinnytaste.com !! Highly recommend as your bread and that are a match made in heaven!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!! YOU ROCK! GOD BLESS!

29. Nichole says

These are literally a life saver for me thank you!! I just made some for my son who is gluten free for the benefits we find it has on his autism. He has been missing GOOD bread, it’s been our biggest issue for him. This is bread he loves!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I am even making more for church offering just minus the garlic and onion! Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

30. Nicole says

I tried the orginal recipe you mentioned with the coconut milk but they were too “coconut tasting” for me (and I like coconut). I MUCH prefer yours with the more neutral flavor and not as gummy. I used almond flour and arrowroot and even made another batch with cashew flour from Trader Joes and arrowroot (my tummy doesn’t like tapioca). They are SO good!

31. Chandana says

Fabulous recipe. Totally tasty, love the texture too.
    I am trying to control my carb intake to fight my insulin-resistance, so I was wondering – Can I replace the tapioca with chia flour? I imagine it would give the smoothness and stickiness to almond flour?

32. IR says

Ive been looking for a paleo naan like recipe with basic ingredients. Thank you for the recipe! Does this taste like naan?

• Hayley Ryczek says

I linked to the brand I recommend in the recipe – regular almond meal is too coarsely ground you def want the blanched. :)

33. Michigal says

These are delicious!!! Just made these for my peanut, dairy, wheat and soy allergic son and we devoured the whole batch in less than 10 minutes. We are on our way to the store to buy more tapioca starch to make a double batch to eat with hummus and salad. Thank you!

34. gail says

I had the same experience as several others….stuck to pan…globbed up…but i was determined. Pushed the dough together, transferred to cookie sheet, flattened them and baked…and yes, they are still so delicious. I am going to try them as my hot dog bun tonite and like some others, i will invest in a good pan. I lost my well seasoned iron skillet in a move.

35. Amanda Bass says

Hey There,

Thanks for this great looking bread option. I can’t wait to try it. I am also eating low carb and I wanted to know if you have had any experience with subbing out the Tapioca flour for something else that might be low carb?

Thanks,
    Amanda

36. Mary says

These look delicious! However I have a silly question, what do you use flatbreads for? Do you put two together to make a sandwich? Or use them with dips? Silly I know, but I’d love to make them but don’t know what to do with them once they are made. Thanks!

• Hayley Ryczek says

Yes, Yes and YES! We use them as thin sandwich breads, tortilla/wraps, baked crispy as crackers, baked with topping as a pizza crust, as a taco shell, the options are endless. My favorite way is just slathering them with a think coating of butter and enjoying like thin butter bread!

37. Natalie says

I made these today and didn’t have tapioca flour on hand so used arrowroot flour and they were wonderful!!,,,Now I am thinking of all of the things I can use these for…the flavor is amazing,,,,We just broke them apart and used them as a cracker ,,,but the possibilities are endless,,,I will be making them a lot in the future…Thank You!

38. Kathy says

Wowie! I made these this morning with cinnamon sugar. Slathered them with home made nutella and they were gone in the blink of an eye! I can’t wait to make it again! Thanks sooo much. This is the easiest, yummiest recipe I’ve made for GF flat bread. This is a keeper : )

• Hayley Ryczek says

Ahmed – you are welcome to experiment to create your own flat great recipe. I don’t advocate eating oats or just egg whites so those aren’t foods I’ve experimented with so I can’t offer you any guidance.

39. Jen says

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! It’s so tasty and easy to make, we’ll be making them all the time. My son is allergic to wheat, corn, rice, dairy, eggs, coconut and avocado. Before this recipe I had stopped looking for baked goods he could eat. I’m encouraged to keep trying, thank you.

40. Jo says

The mix wasike a brick. Then added water and more water and more… Then tried to pan fry was a sticky mess. MeAsurements must not be right. Or something weird happened.

• Hayley Ryczek says

Jo – I’m so sorry! I can assure you that the ingredients and recipe are correct — can you verify that you used the same brands of each ingredient that I link to?

41. Stacey says

Sorry if I missed this in the recipe, but which healthy cooking fat do you put in YOUR hot pan when specifically making these?
    I was torn between using coconut oil, butter, or ghee. I used coconut oil today.
    Although it turned out really good, the recipe is great-but it doesn’t look like your picture. I think I need practice perfecting my techniques at the pan, and possibly use another fat.

• Hayley Ryczek says

Most often we cook these with a tiny dab of lard. You only need a little before the first one to seal your cast iron skillet then afterwards it stays non-stick. Hot skillet, cold fat, hot fat, cold food is the secret. If you use too much fat you’ll end up with a crispy edge instead of just a evenly cooked thin pancake.

• Hayley Ryczek says

You can use cashew flour in place of the almond flour :) Coconut flour will not work, it’s a heavy density flour and requires tons of additional liquid.

• Hayley Ryczek says

Rebecca – This recipe has been made THOUSANDS of times. I’m here to help you, what’s the issue?