Not only is this excellent made with dairy milk, but if you prefer to avoid dairy – I promise it’s equally excellent with coconut milk instead! (I have a casein allergy and tested the coconut milk version on a group of 4 hungry hunters – they LOVED it! Couldn’t even tell it was dairy free!)
How do you like your soup?? I like LOTS of stuff in my soup, almost stew — So although I started out this recipe using just one can of each minced and chopped clams – I now use 2 of each – I LOVE a clam chowder thats FULL OF CLAMS, don’t you!?!?
Oh – and in this pretty picture (below) I did add some steamed clams to make it pretty, but you don’t have to.. if you WANT to just steam them until they pop open then add them to your chowder as garnish!! … know what’s funny??? this pic is on a ratty old bench on my back porch and I LOVE the texture!
If you’re currently doing a 21DSD, leave out the potatoes and use arrowroot powder – it will still be super yummy!
- 4 cup Peeled & Cubed Potatoes (red skinned or yukons work great)
- 4 cup Chicken Stock, homemade please!!!
- ¼ pound of bacon (chopped in little pieces)
- ½ cup Celery, chopped
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- ¼ cup Carrot, peeled & chopped
- ¼ cup Potato Starch (arrowroot works too)
- 1 bottle Clam Juice (8 oz)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Fresh Thyme Sprigs
- ½ teaspoon Ground White Pepper
- 1 or 2 cans of Minced Clams (6.5 oz, drained and rinsed)
- 1 or 2 cans of Chopped Clams (6.5 oz, drained and rinsed)
- 2c Coconut Milk (click HERE for the brand I recommend) or 1 cup Raw Organic Milk & 1 cup Raw Organic Cream
- Tabasco, to taste
- Sea Salt
- Simmer potatoes in the chicken broth, with a large pinch of salt for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender but not yet completely cooked (don’t want them to fall apart!)
- Drain potatoes – reserving the cooking liquid from the potatoes!!! (you’ll add it back into the soup later).. set the cooking liquid and potatoes aside.
- In a large pot, cook bacon pieces until crisp
- Add celery, onion, and carrots. Sweat the veggies until soft.. about 5 minutes
- Sprinkle in corn starch, stir and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the reserved potato cooking liquid/chicken broth, clam juice, bay leaf, thyme and white pepper. Simmer soup for 5 minutes or until thick.
- Add reserved potatoes, clams and coconut milk/cream and milk.
- Season with a few drops of tobacco, sea salt and additional white pepper as desired. Return soup to a simmer (do not boil) for about 3 minutes
- Remove bay leaf/thyme sprigs and serve!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust.