Let’s face it, I don’t care who you are, when you go grain free or gluten free you seriously miss bread. Some of us more than others. I, personally, miss warm – straight from the oven – While my hubby misses sandwiches and burgers on bread/buns. It’s nearly Thanksgiving and I wanted to come up with a grain free bread I can serve with dinner, even to our grain eating guests, that is really yummy.
The biggest obstacle when trying to make a grain free “bread” is making sure it’s not too dense or wet in the middle – yet the outsides are not over done. By making dinner rolls, instead of a loaf of bread, you get a more consistently baked end result. I also wanted to make these with coconut flour as opposed to almond flour.
The feedback I received from my recent recipe for Grain Free Buttermilk Biscuits, many people asked for a replacement for almond flour.
And Feel free to omit the “everything” if you just want a plain roll, they are equally excellent!
- 1 cup Tapioca Starch (buy HERE)
- ⅓ cup Coconut Flour (buy HERE)
- ¼ cup Arrowroot Starch* (buy HERE)
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt (buy HERE)
- 1 teaspoon Honey, preferably local & raw
- ½ cup Healthy Solid Fat, Melted (butter, schmaltz, coconut oil, tallow, lard, etc)
- ½ cup Water, preferably filtered
- 1 egg from organic pastured raised chicken, preferably local
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds* Optional for Topping
- 1 Tablespoon Poppy Seeds* Optional for Topping
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder* Optional for Topping
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to combine
- Combine egg, honey and water, add in melted ½ cup (liquid volume) of fat
- Add liquids to the dry ingredients, mix until well combined
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions and roll each section in to a ball, using additional arrowroot powder to keep dough from sticking to your fingers.
- (Optional) In a small bowl combine Sesame seeds, poppy seeds and garlic powder, roll each ball lightly in the seed mixture
- Place each ball on a baking sheet that's been lined with unbleached parchment paper
- Reduce oven temp to 325 and bake for 40 minutes on the middle rack
- For best results, allow rolls to cool before serving