When you begin a grain free (or gluten free) lifestyle the thing most of us dwell on is all our favorite foods we won’t be able to eat. And for most people when they are just starting out they’ll try recipes or alternative products and be disappointed that they aren’t exactly the same…
I will be honest, if you’re looking for a replacement for those light, flaky, artificially butter flavored biscuits you pop out of a can and bake, keep looking… this recipe isn’t for you. However, if you know what a true homemade biscuit really tastes like, this grain free alternative is very very similar. And when I say similar, I mean YUMMY!
We can’t compare gluten containing wheat products 1:1 with grain free alternatives.. you’re setting yourself up for failure. As much as I “wish” we can all move past these treats the fact is sometimes we NEED a little something to make us feel normal. Make us feel like it’s not so hard.
These amazing little biscuits have gotten my hubby & I through a bad day, lessen the desire to eat poorly. Lessen the cravings for foods from our past, hopefully treats like these can help you push through too!
- 2.5 cups of Blanched Almond Flour (click HERE for the brand I use)
- ¼ cup + 1T of Organic Arrowroot Powder
- ½ teaspoon of Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon of Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 3T Healthy Solid Fat (Butter, Tallow, Lard, Ghee, Schmaltz or Coconut Oil)
- 1 Tablespoon Honey or Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup Cultured Buttermilk or Raw Cultured Sour Cream
- 2 Large Free Range Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350 Degrees F
- Line a cookie sheet with unbleached parchment paper
- In a medium bowl combine Almond Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder & Sea salt
- In a small pot, over low heat combine your fat, honey and buttermilk or sour cream, whisk well until melted, remove from heat
- Add 2 eggs to your liquids and whisk well to combine
- Pour liquid/egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well
- Fold in ¼c Arrowroot powder
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions, using 1T of arrowroot powder to dust your hands. Form each section in to a biscuit shape and place on parchment lined cookie sheet
- Bake your biscuits at 350 for 18-20 minutes on the middle oven rack - brushing with melted butter ½ way through baking
- Allow your biscuits to cool for a minimum of 15 minutes before enjoying!