I know for many of you, when switching to a REAL FOOD lifestyle there are foods, like mac-n-cheese, that you and your family may miss. Don’t feel like everything is off limits, be creative and try out real food recipes, you’ll be shocked how much better they taste than their processed junk counterparts!
This post isn’t really about spaghetti squash, as much as it is about my 3 cheese sauce. I’ve been making it for about 2 years and it seriously can’t be easier.. It’s a really versatile sauce you can use on so many things – great for Broccoli & Cheese Baked Potatoes, Thin it or for a cheesy soup, add some taco seasoning & hot peppers for nacho cheese, the ideas are endless!
Before we get into the cheese sauce, I want to share how I make my spaghetti squash.. preheat your oven to 400 degrees F, cut your spaghetti squash lengthwise, scoop out the seedy stuff and just leave the squash. Rub inside the squash with fat (coconut oil, lard, tallow, butter, etc) and season (sea salt, pepper, garlic powder). Bake in a 9×13 pan, cut side down, uncovered for 30+ minutes. Check to see if it’s done by sticking a knife through the skin, you want it to be al dente, not all mushy.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt your butter over medium heat
- Add in arrowroot powder, whisk together and cook for 1 minute
- Pour in your milk and whisk well, turn heat to medium/low
- Once your milk is warm and starting to thicken, add your shredded cheese in small batches, whisking to combine
- Continue to cook your sauce over low, adding cheese and whisking until smooth
- Add additional milk as needed to thin your sauce to your desired consistency
- Season with sea salt, white pepper and a pinch of dry mustard powder.
- Enjoy over Cooked Spaghetti Squash