I know, I know, I know… Finally I’m sharing the instructions for my method for Kombucha 2nd ferment, which will add some fruit flavor and make it sparkle! No, I’m not kidding, I wouldn’t kid about something so important! If you follow these instructions you’ll get Kombucha that is fizzy like a carbonated soft drink!
We’ve been drinking home brewed Kombucha for several years, but only recently have I started doing the 2nd fermentation. It’s totally worth the few extra steps, I promise once you try it – you’ll be hooked just like us! My hubby and I aim to have a liter of kombucha per day, we take our bottle with us to work and sip on it throughout the day.. it’s refreshing, energizing and exteremely beneficial to your gut health!
Here’s the supplies you’ll need:
1 gallon of Kombucha
4 – 1 liter bottles, that seal up air tight
Organic Fruit Juice (we like pomegranate or cranberry)
Here’s how I do my Kombucha 2nd Ferment:
- You original scoby will duplicate and you’ll have 2 at the end of the 1st ferment.
- Remove both scobys along with 2 cups of Kombucha (1cup for each scoby) In between batches or if you have extra scobys, store them in the fridge in a covered (preferably glass) container, submerged in the reserved kombucha.
- Fill your bottles with approx. 10% Fruit Juice and Kombucha (for a 1 liter bottle, I use 4oz of juice)
- Seal your bottles and let them sit at room temperature, until it is fizzy but still tastes a little sweet (3 days work for me)
- Transfer your fizzy bottles of kombucha to the fridge
Now that I’ve shared with you both steps to making the most amazing kombucha – you’re probably super excited to get started making your own kombucha, Right???