Did you know that you can boost your bodies natural (internal) SPF through supplementation?? Most people are unaware that diet and nutrition plays a large part in getting a sunburn. And you may not realize that the amount of antioxidants that you have in your skin plays a major role in your development of sunburn. The more antioxidants you take in, the lower your risk of sunburn. If you stay away from processed foods and consume a lot of foods which are high in anti-oxidants, such as raw fruits, vegetables and fresh juices, you will find that you have increased tolerance to sun exposure and do not burn as easily. In addition to eating a healthy diet full of organic fruits, veggies and quality healthy fats we’ve been adding a supplement routine 10 weeks prior to our spring break vacation to help our bodies prepare for the sudden change in climate.
Here’s the supplements we’ve been using to naturally boost our bodies SPF:
- Green Tea Extract – prevent suppression of the immune system during sun exposure.
- Grape Seed Extract – A small study of healthy female volunteers suggests that grape seed extract in combination with other ingredients, may help to reduce the severity of sunburn.
- Astaxanthin – a natural health remedy to promote tanning and prevent sunburn. It may take 2 – 4 weeks to build up adequate sun protection.
- Beta-Carotene – has been shown to protect against sunburn. Research suggests that it is necessary to “build up” protection by supplementing a minimum of 10 weeks.
- Vitamins C & E – offers modest benefits against sunburn as well. One double-blind study of 10 people found that 2 g of vitamin C and 1,000 IU of vitamin E taken for 8 days resulted in a modest decrease in skin reddening induced by ultraviolet light.
References and for more information: