Whipped Coconut Oil Facial Cleanser

Share on Google+Share on StumbleUponShare on RedditShare on TumblrTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on LinkedIn

whipped coconut oil facial cleanser

Did you know that Oil dissolves oil?  It’s the basic principal behind the oil cleansing method or OCM. It’s simplest way to clear up acne, blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, blemishes, rashes or outbreaks!  So, stop using soap and other caustic synthetic toxic chemical cleansers, scrubs and moisturizers, and turn instead to a natural, time-honored facial trick of cleaning your skin with oils!

All that’s required to try the oil cleansing method is a blend of oils, a soft washcloth, and hot running water.

1. Mix up a blend of castor oil with any other natural, unprocessed oils that you prefer – I use coconut oil, however olive oil, jojoba oil and sunflower oil are also very popular. Castor Oil is what cleans and draws out the impurities from your skin, although using only castor oil on your skin can be drying. By blending the cleansing properties of castor oil with a moisturizing oil, you have the perfect combination for healthy skin. If your skin is dry use less castor oil, if your skin is oily use more castor oil.
  2. Massage a small amount of the oil mixture gently into your face. Spend a few minutes rubbing the oils into your cheeks, nose, forehead, neck, and chin, allowing the oils to penetrate into the skin and pull out wastes, bacteria, dead cells and other dirt – I apply the oil before I get in the shower.
  3. Soak a wash cloth in hot water and ring out, hold it over your face to steam (but please don’t burn yourself, use common sense) it’s just like giving yourself a mini facial. (The steam in the shower is an extra benefit)
  4. After a minute or so wipe away the oil, along with any dirt, using the washcloth, repeat the steaming/wiping process a few times. Your skin should feel clean, soft, and moist with just a little of the OCM oil remaining on your face. If skin feels dry or tight, you can moisturize it by applying a little of your oil blend.

This morning I “Whipped” up a batch of Coconut Oil Facial Cleanser…. Here’s what I did:
1/2c Organic Coconut Oil
1/2c Castor Oil (use less if your skin is dry)

Since applying the liquid oil to my face to be a little messy and coconut oil whips up beautifully… I whipped them together with awesome results! In a small bowl, whip your (solid) coconut oil with a hand or stand mixer. After your coconut oil is whipped and fluffy, gently stream in your castor oil… you’ll be amazed at how beautifully it whips together! Your final cleanser will be whipped similar to egg whites beaten to stiff peaks, which is super easy to scoop up with your fingers and apply to your skin! I fill up a small canning jar with my Whipped Coconut Oil Facial Cleanser.

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust.

Hayley Ryczek

Blogger at Health Starts in the Kitchen

Latest posts by Hayley Ryczek (see all)

Hayley Ryczek is the voice behind the healthy cooking and natural lifestyle blog, Health Starts in the Kitchen. Most often you will find Hayley in her kitchen, she has always had a passion for food and cooking. She resides with her husband, Ray (and black lab, Hercules) on a 6-acre homestead in rural, southwestern Pennsylvania. Together, they have a beautiful organic garden, raise chickens, forage for wild edibles and look forward to their summertime Sunday evening “mountain rides” in their Jeep.

33 thoughts on “Whipped Coconut Oil Facial Cleanser

1. Debra

I do the OCM nightly and I love the idea of whipping the coconut oil. I’m wondering what you use to do the whipping. I’m having a hard time imagining how one can whip a solid, especially as little as only 1/2 cup. More info please! And thank you!

1. admin Post author

I have used both my kitchen aid stand mixer and an electric hand mixer – both work beautifully. I “whip” solid coconut oil very ofter for different cooking and beauty reasons – you’ve gotta try it and you’ll see that although a solid it will whip up beautifully :) Trust me!

2. Susan

Hi – love your blog! I’ve recently started looking into OCM and a lot of websites say Coconut Oil is comodgenic (sp?) and will clog pores – wondering your response to this? I went ahead and tried it anyway since I had already whipped up a batch (and yes, coconut oil whips very nicely – thanks for that tip!) so we’ll see what happens. :)

1. admin Post author

It’s like any other product.. every one’s skin will react differently! For me and lots of other people, coconut oil is AH-MAZ-ING! My skin has never been clearer or more radiant!
      I use straight coconut oil around my eyes a couple times a week at bed time to prevent wrinkles.. so far so good.. I’m still wrinkle free at 35!

2. Jane

Coconut oil is one of only two moisturizers I’m able to use – all others break out my skin (at age 55!). Seems so counterintuitive, but the coconut oil actually clears up any acne bumps I may get – I apply the CO directly if I get any bumps and use coconut oil straight as my moisturizer on dry zones.

3. L'lani

I can’t wait to try it. One question tho….what and how do you remove it in the shower?? Do you still use the steamed washcloth or do you just leave it on and “rinse” with the water? Thank you!! I really enjoy your posts and blogs.

4. gina

I am wanting to try this, but living in Texas, it gets hot in the house! Will the whipped coconut oil stay whipped or will it melt again when it sits in a warm house. Thanks!

1. gina

Will it stay whipped and fluffy if I keep it in the fridge? Sorry for all the questions, I’m new to all of the all natural and homemade!!

5. sarah

I’ve been using straight coconut oil as my cleanser for about a week, but I don’t think it’s getting my makeup off at night. After slathering it on and using my handheld sonic cleanser brush thing (I can’t remember the name of it) to clean it off, there was still makeup residue coming off on the washcloth. So, my question is, do you use it to take off makeup too, or just on makeup-free skin?

I just received my castor oil in the mail today, so I’m getting ready to whip up some of this recipe :-) Thanks so much for all the great ideas! I’m excited about the all-natural sunscreen too.

1. admin Post author

I’ve never had a problem getting my make up off with my coconut oil cleanser.. and in fact used straight coconut oil to remove waterproof mascara for years before oil cleansing. However, I have never worn heavy makeup and hardly wear any now.. Also you won’t need to use your brush, the castor oil is exfoliator/cleanser..

1. admin Post author

just wipe coconut oil on your eye area, you’ll see it dissolve mascara/eyeliner.. then wipe off :)

2. MaidMirawyn

A lot of people love the oil cleansing method for makeup removal! (I’m an amateur Middle Eastern dancer, and I use it after performances–and we layer on the makeup for the stage lights!) But really, the method works best if your face is a little damp when you apply the oils. Also, try the washcloth once or twice before using the brush; the slight steaming from the damp washcloth makes it far more effective. (I think it has something to do with “melting” the skin oils and cleansing oils together, if you get what I’m saying.)

There’s an in-depth article on the oil cleansing method at the Crunchy Betty website. Lots of info for troubleshooting.

6. Cheryl Paige

I suffer from acne and breakouts and I’ve always been weary of slathering anything containing oil on my face! Has anyone with these concerns tried this recipe and if so, did they have any issues? Thanks!

1. Hayley Post author

I’m 35 and have been using my coconut oil cleanser for a couple years now.. before I had occasional breakouts, large pores, very oily skin.. now I rarely have a pimple, my pores are clean and hardly any oil!!

1. iamwaves

Castor oil can be found at Walmart, but you should buy the coconut oil somewhere else as Walmart only sells refined coconut oil. You want to use unrefined coconut oil.

7. rhonda

I am late on this but I wanted to let you all know that CO has anti bacterials in it and that helps acne irritation. Also, castor oil has drawing properties meaning it will draw out the infection. This is how I came across this recipe because I was looking for recipes to use them together.

8. Jennifer

I was thinking of also adding grapeseed oil to it as well, what do you think of that? Also, would this be good as a body wash as well?

1. Hayley Post author

I’m personally not a fan of grapeseed oil…. and as for a body wash it would be challenging to steam it off your entire body :)

1. Jennifer

Ha, yeah didn’t think about the steaming part. Ok, I just made the stuff…it didn’t come out “whipped” were we supposed fold the castor oil into the whipped coconut? I’m sure either way it’ll work just fine…just not as pretty as it would be whipped lol.

9. ממקור זה

Pretty nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog
    and wished to say that I have truly loved browsing your blog posts.
    In any case I will be subscribing for your feed and I hope
    you write once more very soon!

10. Gail

I buy my virgin coconut oil from Tropical Traditions, the gold label 16 oz. jar. They offer larger jars and even gallons and run specials quite often. It is unrefined coconut oil. Used it for a year for cleaning my face and making salves.